Help: How do I get an audio version of a book?
There are multiple ways to listen to books. You may want to look at the Reading Tools page first to know how you may be reading a book.
- iOS or Android Apps
- If you use a reading tool that can voice the text of a book, such as Dolphin’s EasyReader, you can find the book, open it and listen to it directly on that reading tool
- Apple Books
- If you are accustomed to reading using Apple Books, then download the book in EPUB and open it in Apple Books, which offers a read aloud function
- Microsoft Word or Edge Browser:
- If you use Word, then download the book in DOCX and open it in Word, which has an Immersive Reader option that reads aloud
- If you use the Edge browser, then download the book in EPUB, and open it in your browser, which has an Immersive Reader option that reads aloud
- Audio Players (DAISY Audio or MP3)
- If you use a player that requires either a DAISY audio or MP3 file, you will need to find and download the book from this website as an Audio file. Then you will move the file to the player to open and listen to it being played.
- The majority of the books available in Audio are produced by a “Text-to-Speech” (TTS) engine that uses computerized voices. This TTS engine can produce only English and Spanish-language books now, but more languages are coming.
- In addition to more TTS languages, the Library will be adding human-narrated books in the future.
Help: I am downloading a book; what are DAISY and BRF file formats?
DAISY and BRF are digital formats for accessible materials (DAISY stands for Digital Accessible Information System, and BRF stands for Braille Ready Format).
- DAISY formatted books can be read as audio only or they can be read with audio and synchronized word highlighting at the same time. If you want audio only, you can choose our DAISY Audio download format. If you would like to hear the book and have the words highlighted onscreen, choose either our DAISY text or DAISY with images format. You will need software or a mobile application that can read these files.
- BRF is a digital braille file that can be read with a refreshable braille display device and other assistive technology software. You can choose whether you want contracted or uncontracted braille in your account preferences.
For more information about software that will read our books, go here: Reading Tools.
Help: I forgot my password. How do I get a new one?
To reset your password to go: Forgot Password and enter your email address. You will be emailed a link to create a new password.
Help: How do I ensure my books are in my preferred format?
When you sign up with Bookshare, you can customise your account and select your preferred format for title download. When you have selected the title, your preferred format will be automatically selected. However, if you would like to download a book in a different format, you can! Simply change the format selected prior to download in the drop down window.
Help: Can I read a book in Apple Books?
Users can read our EPUB format on their Apple computers and iOS mobile devices (such as the iPhone) using iBooks.
Log in to your account.
Search for a book using the search box at the top of the page.
After finding the book in the search results, select EPUB from the download format drop-down menu, then select the Download button.
Once the book has completed packaging select the option to download the prepared file.
Select the option to Open in Apple Books button.
Help: How will I know if I am eligible?
Bookshare Ireland is available for all people with a print disability. This includes visual impairment, learning difficulties or a physical disability that limits a person's ability to read standard print. For more information, visit the Do I Qualify? page, or get into contact with us via email@example.com.
Help: Where is the book I downloaded?
Each web browser and software program may save your books in different locations. For Windows computers, check your downloads folder or your documents folder first.
If you do not find the file there, you can also search your computer for the downloaded book. The filename will be the first few words of the title of the book with underscores replacing spaces.
You can search your computer by clicking the start button and selecting search on a Windows computer (or by pressing control and shift on a Mac). If you are still unable to locate the book, you are welcome to contact customer service or try downloading the book again.
Help: How much does Bookshare cost?
As an NCBI Library member, accessing Bookshare is free.
Help: How do I download BRF?
To download BRF files using a computer or Braille note-taker, please follow the steps below. Please note that these steps do not work when using a tablet or smartphone to download BRF files.
Log into your account
Locate a book using the search box
Select the title of the book
Select BRF from the download format drop down (combo) box, then press the download button
If asked whether you would like to Open or Save the file, please choose Save, then select a location where you can easily find it
Note: Most web browsers save files to the Downloads folder by default.
Help: Membership: Getting Started
Find a Book
Go to the Search box at the top of the home page for the library. Type a word or phrase that contains the title, the author, or keywords from the book into the search box. Our powerful search engine will check the titles, author names, and the contents of all books in the library.
Download the Book
Once you find a book you like, you are ready to download it and read it!
Read the Book
The most popular ways to read our books are: audio only, in braille on a refreshable braille device, or with synchronized audio and word highlighting.
- Audio, used by people who are blind, or in situations where viewing the text version is not possible
- Audio and Text Highlighting, especially helpful for people with learning differences like dyslexia or eye-tracking issues
- Braille, such as on a refreshable braille device, or embossed.